Chemical Forum

Retrieve Password
 Register Now
!show!: 388|Reply: 12

Can i use Dawn dish soap to wash my cat? [Copy URL]

Post time 2013-3-23 16:37:30 |Show all posts

I need something to wash my cat in. I know theres shampoos for that but all of them that i know of have this chemical that can cause cancer. Not sure if it can cause cancer in cats but i'm not taking the risk. So is it fine? And what is the safest type of dawn to watch them in if its fine?

Use magic Report

Post time 2013-3-23 16:37:31 |Show all posts

Why do you feel the need to wash you cat? They don't did bathes. All these bathes do is remove all oils that they have on fur and skin. They need these oils so they don't get dry-ed out. If you feel that you just have to give your kitty a bath then use a damp wash cloth (no soap/shampoo) and that's all that's needed and then they don't really need that either.

Use magic Report

Post time 2013-3-23 16:37:33 |Show all posts

Yes, there are times when you need to bathe your cat, if they get into something yucky or smelly. But no, do not use dishsoap. This is not made for your cats fur or skin and would also be very irritating to its eyes. I would say you should only use shampoo especially made for cats, you can buy at any store (just make sure its not flea shampoo unless your cat has fleas, you dont need this) I have used baby shampoo in the past which seems ok too as it is quite mild and non irritating to the cats eyes, but you should make sure to keep it away from their eyes. But, NO, dont use any type of dishwashing soap.

Use magic Report

Post time 2013-3-23 16:37:34 |Show all posts

Your safest bet would probably be to use a human baby no tears shampoo. It has a very mild formula and won't irritate the skin, just make sure you rinse thoroughly! You don't want to leave any residue on your cat, or when she cleans herself she could ingest some.

I would not use Dawn. It does have a mild formula but really it's a dishwashing soap, not my first choice for a cat.

Use magic Report

Post time 2013-3-23 16:37:36 |Show all posts

You CAN wash your cat. I had to do it twice for de-worming purposes. However, you shouldn't do it unless you absolutely have to and there's no other option. If the cat simply smells, or has litter on it, there are wash wipes you can buy for a dollar at Walmart that will "wash" your cat without totally flipping them out. That's what I would suggest you doing.

I was told to use either shampoo made for cats, or Johnson's baby shampoo. You're not supposed to use anything else. At least I wouldn't. They're too sensitive.

This is what I did with mine: I filled the sink up with warm water (sink is higher up so it's easier). Then I placed my cat in the water. I talked to her the whole time calmly and told her how well she was behaving. I had my mom use a cup to get her wet and wash her and rinse her while I held and comforted her in the water. If you have a second person, use them. It's way too hard on your own. Also, don't run the water. Cats don't usually like that sound. Make it a calm and soothing bath. Like I said, I had to do it twice with my cat. She gave my little problems. She just wanted out so go quickly. Mine even has her claws and I wasn't scratched, bitten, or hissed at. She just simply didn't like it.

Also! Make sure you keep the cat warm afterwards. Wrap them in a towel and snuggle for a while so s/he feels comforted and safe. =) Good luck.

One more thing! Be very careful with the ears. Either put cotton balls in them (a website suggested this) Or simply do not wash the face/head.

Use magic Report

Post time 2013-3-23 16:37:37 |Show all posts

they have these things at walmart or any pet store.
they are bath wipes for cats. its so you dont have to actually get them wet BUT you use the wipes and clean them. you just wipe their fur everywhere.

and i am sure it IS safe to use dawn just not toooo much.
they use dawn to help the animals are are in oil spills. duh. i have used dawn on my dog and he was just fine.

so yea! buy the wipes that way you done have to get all butchered up by your cat attempting to get it wet.

and even if the hair and/or skin dry out its not like it takes that long to produce more oils to coat the skin and hair.

Use magic Report

Post time 2013-3-23 16:37:39 |Show all posts

You probably are asking because you've seen the T.V. commercials where they are cleaning up animals with Dawn dish soap. But those are special circumstances where the animals have come in contact with oil. Dawn is very powerful at breaking down oil. But it's too strong for an ordinary bath.

Yes, I know where you're coming from, with the rolling in the cat box thing. Your best bet would be to use a gentle baby shampoo, if you must bathe him. Better yet, go to your local pet store, and buy cat wipes. They are made specially for cats, and would get the litter dust off nicely.

Use magic Report

Post time 2013-3-23 16:37:42 |Show all posts

To the first 2 posters. Yes cats clean themselves BUT sometimes they DO need to have a bath due to many different things.

To answer the question, I don't think there would be any problem using the Dawn dish soap to wash your cat. DO NOT put any soap on the cats face and make sure you rinse ALL of the soap out.

Use magic Report

Post time 2013-3-23 16:37:44 |Show all posts

Yes Dawn dish soap is perfectly safe for your cat. Dawn is used on animals that are caught in oil spills. Dawn is also recommended to use to kill fleas on kittens too young for flea treatments.

Use magic Report

Post time 2013-3-23 16:37:45 |Show all posts

I don't think that that is a good idea. Your veterinarian or pet store can supply shampoo products. I found it most convenient to scrub my cat thoroughly with a warm wet towel, rather than actually trying a bath.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register Now

Archiver|Chemical Forum

GMT+8, 2014-9-1 15:26 , Processed in 0.067575 second(s), 10 queries .