Chemical Forum

Retrieve Password
 Register Now
!show!: 377|Reply: 1

How long is shingles contagious on a solid surface? [Copy URL]

Post time 2013-4-29 15:23:01 |Show all posts

A lady at work has shingles. We are wondering how long the virus lives on solid surfaces. As in, if she touches a desk, if I (have never had Chickenpox) touch the desk will I get it?

Use magic Report

Post time 2013-4-29 15:23:02 |Show all posts

I found this article it may be helpful. My sister had shingles but I had the chickenpox before, they just told me at the hospital as long as I did not eat or drink after her I would be ok or use her hairbrush?? There may be a chance that you could I would recommend that you wash your hands before and after you go near her.

Anyone who's had chickenpox has the potential of developing shingles. However, it's most common in older adults: More than half the shingles cases occur in adults over 60.

In addition, people with weakened immune systems from HIV/AIDS, those who are receiving medical treatments, such as steroids, radiation and chemotherapy, or those who have a history of bone or lymphatic cancer are more likely to develop shingles. Most people develop shingles only once, but recurrences in other areas are possible.

A person with shingles can pass the varicella-zoster virus to anyone who hasn't had chickenpox before. This usually occurs through direct contact with the open sores of the shingles rash. Once infected, the person will develop chickenpox, however, not shingles. The infection can be serious for certain groups of people with immune system deficiencies. The varicella-zoster virus cannot be spread to another person with a normal immune system who has already had chickenpox.

Until the shingles blisters scab over, avoid physical contact with:

Anyone who's never had chickenpox
Anyone who has a weak immune system
Newborns
Pregnant women (A chickenpox infection can be dangerous for the developing baby.)

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register Now

Archiver|Chemical Forum

GMT+8, 2014-12-19 18:50 , Processed in 0.068143 second(s), 10 queries .